Sunday, December 26, 2010

Guess Who I Took a Bath With???

As for most holidays, you always have the before hand "rush." The house cleaning, the grocery shopping, the famous modesty of "Why Yes, I am always this neat and tidy and my laundry baskets never have laundry in them." Yeah, back to reality, its the holidays and stress can really get the best of some of us. SO, in my quest for that not to happen, I decided to stay on top of things this year and really be on the ball. HA HA HA!!! And Double HA! That didn't work so I resorted to what I know best?


LONG SOAKS IN A BURNING HOT BATH!

And I don't just mean that "warm" bath. I mean the ones that your skin comes out so red and you have to sit outside the tub for a few minutes because you are light headed from the heat. OH YEAH! You know what I'm talking about, ladies. Those are the soaks I look forward to. Most often I do get one a week but they are usually around 10pm or so, while the blessings are tucked away and the hubby has a good book to read. That's my cue to soak.

So on this last scurry before the holidays, I actually was able to get in a good bath before the blessings were in bed. Its rare but I had the chance so I pounced like a mother lion to her prey. I had it all ready too. The warm bathroom with the heater already going, steam billowing from the tub, ice cold drink located on the left side on the tub, magazine placed on the towel with a pen snapped to it for the occasional crossword. Rolled towel ready for behind the neck and a LOCKED door. That's right, a locked door. I was in the zone.

So as I begin my soak, now keep in mind that its HOT, you have to do the toe dip thing. You know where you start one toe at a time followed by the foot but not to be fooled to place them all in at once, because they will most likely melt away if you do? Yes, you are on the page with me. Well as I began the soak, I went for the eyes closed "AHHHH" moment. (I don't have to explain that one. You know what it is.)
So after the moment had passed I started to press on to the cool drink, due to the fact that my body temperature had risen to 105 degrees and there they were.

It was like they had been waiting there the whole time. Watching, non-blinking, staring in complete silence. Most likely making fun of the road map that now embraces my growing belly. Gawking at the awe of this very pregnant mother attempting her best to fit her oh so wide hips into the narrow 1950's ceramic tub. I stared back. Giving them a run for the own game but alas, they had me. I was outnumbered 6 to1 and I had no way out. There I lay as, 6 Star Wars figures beamed back a stare that was as haunting as Elm Street.

Its like they knew I was afraid of them. I quickly swung my leg up to knock them off their pedestal and then shortly realized my leg doesn't swing like that anymore and a hot wave of water rushed over my neck that I hadn't been ready  for. So I showed them. I sat up and tossed every one of them to the floor with no remorse. I even gave them a bit of the Godfather gesture so they knew who was in control here, and then the peace came, well sort of......

Then I felt bad. I had thrown Coopers toys out of the tub and actually dislodged one commanders arm. So in my motherly way, I got out of the tub, robed up, and proceeded to find the super glue to fix my damage. Upon my expedition, I was stopped for the much wanted juice cup, a diaper change, a load of clothes had just buzzed, and "Mom,  your phone is ringing." After tending to all their needs I proceeded with stealth like positioning, back to the bathroom. I was welcomed again by the warm heater, cool drink, and magazine awaiting me. The figures were gone. I doubled checked for left over Barbies and once in the clear I started the toe dip.

But as you can imagine, I had no idea the time that had passed while I was on my superglue excursion and I found myself, two footed, in a tub full of lukewarm water. Not desirable to even bathe in. So I called it a night and decided I would try again another lone night.

Now, I do my best to take experiences like this and learn from them and really find the humor in them. But this particular one had me thinking more of my spiritual life. You see, I equated everything to being ready for the BEST EXPERIENCE. I had every sense ready for pleasure. Just the way I wanted. I truly was on top of my game, but when something didn't go my way, I resigned. I opted out for easy road and decided that it wasn't the time or place for me.

Do you ever feel that way about your faith? You have everything ready and when a bump, stumble, or lukewarm water finds you, do you turn in haste and say "I'll try again another day?

The bible says, Matt 24:44- Therefore be ye also ready, for in such hour ye think not, the Son of man cometh...

Can we really wait another day to find our faith? Do we opt out for the easy road and pray that nothing happens between now and the time when "you" are ready? We prepare ourselves for so many adventures and tasks during our daily lives, but we forget so too often about what truly matters? Our soul.

So this week, as you prepare for the New Year grind, don't consume yourself, with "who you are taking a bath with." (You know what I mean.) But be concerned on your preparedness to meet our Savior.

Happy New Year from the Howton Quiver

No comments:

Post a Comment