Tuesday, December 14, 2010

All I Want for Christmas..... a MANUAL!

There are two things in life that really can place me in some kind of mood. Its like they only can draw the energy I need placed on something important out of me. I have NO IDEA why I let them get to me, but they do and I have tried countless times to find a cure, a solution, a route less taken but nevertheless, they seem to always win.

Now I know what you are thinking. OH, this is big, juicy, Facebook gossip stuff but no it really isn't. Its honestly petty, foolish, and childish but I can't bring myself to jump the hurdle of adulthood when it comes to these matters. Maybe some of you can relate or at least have small pity on me but my two biggest peeves are,
  1. Having to read manuals
  2. Fresh, out of the dryer, unmatched socks with no companion to be found
I told you. Dumb I know, but I can't help it. Its like pulling my teeth when these two obstacles come around. So here's the story...

First off, I'm not the biggest reader. I really don't have tons of time and I do good to get my daily bible reading in and digested. Its not like I don't enjoy it, I just don't make or have the time. (Its one of those reasons. I just know it.) So the problem steps in when we get a new toy in the house. A washer, dryer, stroller, stove, etc. Now I must say being married to an engineer that LOVES to read and enjoys manuals, often times this is a quick fix for me, with a "Hunny, can you come show me how to run this washer, etc." Which in his mind is, YES, time to sit and read the manual and learn and come to my wife's rescue. So now that I have boosted my man's self ego, its off for me to do what needs to be done and come back in an hour to learn in five minutes what would have taken me 3 hours to actually learn in black and white.
WIN WIN for me.

Now as for the socks, ACK!!! That's a whole different story. Years ago I learned that with a large family you go with whats easy, so for me, white socks it is. Only daddy and Cooper have dress socks for Sunday that aren't white. Its just easier AND when one outgrows that size, we simply place in the next younger ones basket. Easy fix! That is until, I get the loner sock. Its that one sock that will drive you batty because you have paired 15 matches together and you have only one left, stranded on the dryer. Its so annoying to me that I have to actually bring back my labor breathing techniques. Seriously!

So the search starts. Looking in the washer, dryer, baskets, under baskets, under beds, etc. And it just seems like the longest quest in the world for me. Sometimes success is found and located. But honestly most of the time, success comes about a week later and its in the last place you would have ever looked.

Now I do try to keep my stress level at a minimum when it comes to the socks. I have a "small" basket that is allocated for missing pairs and really I do pretty well at keeping it to only maybe two or four socks in it at a time but those socks have a time limit. If the match isn't found in a months time, to the trash they go. Yes, its harsh but momma has no time to deal.

As small as this may seem and silly to most, I do have to sit back and think about what might this be teaching me. Many people ask for manuals when it comes to babies, marriage, life, etc. and SO many authors have tried to accommodate that request. I'm sorry, as good as some books may be, no one comes close to the Bible. God already has set a manual for us and yes, you can't be lazy and ask your hubby to read and give you the cliff notes, but you can take one step at a time and absorb His beautiful message.

And unlike me and my time limit for socks, God has no limit for us. He wants to be with us and wants fellowship with us and after a months time, He doesn't throw us out. (Even though He should, most likely)How comforting is that?

So as you come upon one of those peeves of yours that really rock your boat, remember that manuals can always be listened and watched online, for you who like I can't bear to take the time to read black and white AND more pairs of socks can always be bought.

Phil. 4:13- I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength

1 comment:

  1. Seriously! The same little creature that steals socks in our house has also developed an appetite for pacifiers ;)Why these creatures can't sometimes mop my floor or scrub a toilet is beyond me!

    ReplyDelete