Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Are you a Martha???

I read a blog yesterday from a mother of two sets of twins. She talked of how when her first set was born she was careful for everything to be perfect. Everything that touched them was washed, pure, clean, and her house was no exception. She would stay up hours at night washing her floors by hand so her babies would crawl on clean floors.

Then her next set of twins came along three years later. Although she wanted things neat and tidy, she admitted to picking up the pacie many times and just doing the "brush off." (Admit it. We have all done it.) Her conclusion was, though very different techniques were started at birth with each set, they both turned out the same. She claims that her focus has shifted from perfection to just feeling blessed.

So as I started my daily bible reading this morning, I went to Luke 10:39. The story of Mary and Martha and it really sank in with me. Martha just wanted perfection for her perfect guest. Her mind was not wrong, it just wasn't focused on the importance at hand.

Many times I can admit, I am a Martha. I want the look of perfection. The look of organization and label maker friendly attic space, but deep inside, I'm just a Mary waiting to get out. I want the dirt to pile up and the clothes to stay dirty over 24 hours so I can sit and enjoy life, my blessings, my husband, and my home. Every wonder why we don't have vacations at home??? Its because you won't take a break. You will end up doing something, fixing something, cleaning something, or finding something to do.

So as I sit here with Cheerios being pelted at me, and a sticky puddle of what I believe to be leftovers of yesterdays lost juice cup, I wonder to myself, what would I do if Christ showed up at my door right now? I'm in my pj's still. No brushed teeth, no combed hair, and a house with its normal morning mess. Would I do "Flight of the Bumble Bee" and clean with every breath in me or would I simply clear a path for him to walk so my blessings and I could sit and glean from him?

I pray that it would be the latter. So today, strive to make yourself a Mary. Take time to sit and listen to your blessings. Let the clothes pile just for today and make that train track that your little one has been begging you to do, or paint your fingernails a crazy color and  do the same for your little girl. There is so much our blessings (children) can teach us.

We can learn to be Mary's just from them.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful message, April. Thank you for the loving reminder. -- Melinda (Adams) Gill

    ReplyDelete