Sunday, February 6, 2011

Handicap Bar, Grab Hold!

So when Jason and I sold our home almost 5 years ago, we never expected it to sell in 6 days. Don't get me wrong. WHAT A HUGE BLESSING! But I was also due with baby #3 any day so what were we to do? Well, long story short, we sold the house, moved out 6 days postpartum and moved into a 800 square foot apartment with three babies under three years old. Let's just say, it was hard.

So, as Jason went back to work, I became the house hunting guru. I would load all the kids, with snacks and sippys in tow, nurse the baby before we left, and pack the car seats in our sweet Realtors car, (that was NOT designd for car seats, SIGH!)

So, after four months of looking, I found a house. Not just a house but a house that when I approached Jason about it my exact words were, "Now just imagine..."

Needless to say, this house was dated to be at least 102 years old. It was actually the first Radio Station in Florence, AL. It was commissioned by President Roosevelt for the Wilson Dam workers, so the history was kind-of cool behind it, however, the life time warranty wool carpet flooring, 1960's wallpaper, and the tango orange kitchen cabinets complete with free standing in the middle of the room stove, were more to be desired.

Jason and I both knew we had our work cutout for us but we were up to it. Although only having three blessings at the time, this house boasted 7 bedrooms, so we envisioned a playroom, office, guest bedroom, etc. So we took the plunge, bought the house and gave our handyman the keys for two weeks and said "GUT IT."

We had a brand new kitchen made, as well as Jason and I put new flooring in. Our plaster walls were patched and re-textured, painting of ceilings, walls, molding, and doors were a daily chore. We gutted and pretty much made anew everything. Everything that is but the bathroom.

It was in well working order so we figured we'd conquer that later. Really my only pet peeve was the handicap bar the stretched across the shower wall.
It must have been placed there back in the 70's I'm sure for the previous owners. And really its not that big of deal but the blessings see it as a swing toy, which means many nights of "stop swinging in the shower."
So after five years of showering and bathing with that bar, tonight I finally came to a full appreciation of the thing.

Being that I see myself young still and in NO way need of help, (gulp) I was trying to lift this 32 week pregnant body out of the tub, using the water as my hopeful buoyancy leverage, and it hit me, why not use the bar. AND GUESS WHAT?? IT REALLY DOES WORK!!!

I was beyond excited to have that bar there at that moment. I could feel my baby weight shifting into an urge to fall forward and low and behold, that wonderful, silver polished, Barbie holding, Star War figure carrying bar caught me. It was wonderful.

So for now I'll keep the bar. I'll keep my first opinions of it to myself for now, till I find myself not "needing" its help anymore.
But for me, it also reminded me of our Lord, who is ALWAYS there to catch us. Although many reject His presence and only want to use Him when its right for them, He is always there. He is and will always be our silver polished handicap bar that will catch you. Its just your decision to reach out and grab hold.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous! Thankful for the silver bar that was at the right place at the right time...more thankful for our Lord who is always there! Love you, pretty mama!

    ReplyDelete